The term Pandur once referred to the armed and liveried servants of Hungarian noblemen. In 1741, Franz Freiherr von der Trenck raised a corps of Pandurs in Slavonia for service in the War of Austrian Succession. Trenck was commended for his exceptionally successful raids against enemy supply lines and outpost, and he was asked to increase his corps from 1000 to 2600 men. The Pandurs, known as Red Capuchins or Redcoats, because of their red cloaks, were infamous for their lack of discipline. In 1756, the Panduren-Corps von der Trenck became the 53. Infanterie-Regiment.
Militiamen, military police, and clerks of the Austrian military border (Militärgrenze) were also known as Pandurs. See Grenz-Infanterie.
- Allevi, Piersergio: Miniatures, p. 125