In the 17th century, many infantry regiments had colonel’s colours, lieutenant colonel’s colours, and major’s colours, to mark the three wings of the combat formation. In addition, every company in the regiment carried captain’s colours, which differed in the number and placement of captain’s devices on these flags. At the Battle of Edgehill, 23 October 1642, the King’s Royal Regiment of Foot Guards reportedly lost eleven of its thirteen flags.
In the early 18th century, the British army reduced the number of colours carried by the regiment. By the Seven Years’ War, most line infantry regiments carried only two colours, the King’s colours and regimental colours. These changes in the regulation were not fully implemented in the Foot Guards, who have retained company colours even until today. British colonial, and American revolutionary regiments adopted the British practise of two colours per regiment. In Austrian and German regiments, the company colours were called Ordinärfahne or Kompaniefahne.
Professionally designed colours for your miniatures may be downloaded from the Miniatures Forum.
|company colours||Kompaniefahne||drapeau de compagnie||bandiera||bandera|