The Michaeliskirche at Hildesheim, famous for its painted wood ceiling dating back to the 12th century.
The Bishopric of Hildesheim was incorporated into the Kingdom of Prussia following the Reichsdeputationshauptschluß of 25 February 1803. The Bishop retired from government and received a pension of 50,000 Tlr (Talers).
In 1806, Emperor Napoleon defeated Prussia, and Hildesheim temporarily became part of France until it was taken into the Kingdom of Westfalia in 1807. In the course of German Liberation in 1813, Hildesheim was occupied by Allied troops, and incorporated into the Electorate of Hannover. In 1866, Hannover and Hildesheim became part of Prussia.
Michaeliskirche Side Entrance
Hildesheim Cathedral Tower
Hildesheim Cathedral Nave
Administrative Building on Cathedral Square
Gate und Wall on Cathedral Square
Hospital on Cathedral Square
Hildesheim Town Hall
The Mint at Hildesheim
Church opposite Hildsheim Town Hall
Town House in Hildesheim
Town Block und Wall in Hildesheim
Hildesheim today still has an impressive number of historic buildings and churches, most of which have been beautifully restored. The Museum of Roman History is well worth a visit.