German Panzer III Ausf. L Medium Tank (Sd.Kfz. 141/1)
Panzerkampfwagen III Ausführung L was produced from June 1942 until December 1942. Outwardly similar to the late Ausf. J, this variant of the Panzer III had 57 mm of frontal turret, often supplemented by 20 mm of applique armour on the gun mantlet and superstructure front. Panzer III Ausf. L(Tp) serving in North Africa were fitted with additional air filters, and they had improved oil filters and cooling fans. Panzer III Ausf. L was the first of the Panzer III series to receive the Fliegerbeschussgerät 41/42 anti-aircraft machine gun mount which was attached to the tank commander’s cupola.
Available Scale Model Kits
- Pz.Kpfw. III Ausf. L, 1:35 Tamiya 35125
- Panzer III Ausf. L Detail Set, 1:35 Royal Model
- Panzer III Ausf. L, 1:48 Tamiya
- Panzer III Ausf. L, 1:72 Revell 03133
- Pz.Kpfw. III Ausf. L (North Africa), 1:72 Admiral Toys AD72001
- Panzer III Ausf. L (Winter Camouflage), 1:72 Admiral Toys AD72003
- Pz.Kpfw. III Ausf. L, 1:76 Matchbox 40074
- Pz.Kpfw. III Ausf. L, 1:76 Revell (Matchbox) 03155
- Pz.Kpfw. III Ausf. L, 1:87 WTD 13
- Panzer III L/N, 15 mm Battlefront Miniatures GE034
- Panzer III J/L, 15 mm Forged in Battle P-33
- Pz.Kpfw. III Ausf. L, 1:285 GHQ G28
- Panzerkampfwagen III Ausf. L
- Type: Main Battle Tank
- Motor: Maybach HL 120 TRM, 12-cylinder, 197,4 kw
- Speed: 40 km/h on roads, 20 km/h cross-country
- Fuel Capacity: 320 l
- Cruising Range: 155 km on roads, 95 km cross-country
- Length: 6410 mm
- Width: 2950 mm
- Height: 2500 mm
- Weight: 22.700 kg
- Armament: 5,0 cm L.60 KwK 39, Hull MG 34, Turret MG 34, AA-MG 34
- Armour Penetration at 0-100 m:
- 99 mm, using (A.P.) Panzergranate 39
- 141 mm, using (A.P.C.R.) Panzergranate 40
- Crew: Commander, Gunner, Loader, Radio Operator, and Driver
- Kühling, Axel: Krupp Grusonwerk. Panzer aus Magdeburg 1933–1945.
- Perret, B.; Badrocke, M. (Illustrator): Panzerkampfwagen III Medium Tank 1936–1944.
- Scutts, Jerry: Modelling the Panzer III.
- Spielberger, Walter J.: Der Panzerkampfwagen III und seine Abarten.
- German Army, July 1942 – December 1944
- Panzer III Ausf. N (Sd.Kfz. 141/2)
SSG offer a spare turret for this Sturmpanzer III conversion.
Panzer III Ausführung L served as a main battle tank in Europe and North Africa. The vehicle was a formidable opponent for the British tanks it encountered in the desert, but it was no match for the Soviet T-34.